Executive AssistantNovember 18, 2021 2021-11-19 9:39
Upgradable is seeking an Executive Assistant to support our senior team and clients. We’re looking for someone who is passionate about changing themselves and the world.
We’re an early stage startup based in Bali currently building our modern-day equivalent of Shackleton’s crew. We welcome remote team members from anywhere in the world, but Bali-based members are welcome to join us in a shared villa/office.
Who are we?
Upgradable is an applied research lab trying to solve human flourishing. Everyone on the planet deserves to live an extraordinary life. We’re working hard to make that a reality.
What’s our culture like?
We’re a principled, high-performing, and agile startup. We deeply value hard work, but at the same time we love to laugh and play.
We care about each other as human beings. We hold ourselves to high standards, but know that no one is perfect.
We attract outliers. Our people tend to think deeply, work carefully, and take calculated risks. We’ve all resolved to leave a lasting positive impact on the world.
Most of us love science, philosophy, math, and entrepreneurship. We read for fun, are always trying something new, and aren’t afraid of being different.
It goes without saying, but we’re very focused on everyone’s growth. And we’re very supportive of each other’s goals in life, both inside and outside of Upgradable.
Why is this role important?
As an Executive Assistant, you will dramatically increase the strategic focus of our senior team and clients by helping with the smooth running of their personal and professional work. You will act as a gatekeeper to protect their time and attention by handling a wide assortment of planned and unplanned day-to-day tasks.
What will you do?
- Tackle ad hoc tasks from the senior team and selected clients
- Create documents, spreadsheets, slideshows, images, websites, etc.
- Update websites and social media pages
- Respond to email, calls, and messages
- Plan and manage schedules
- Research a wide variety of topics
- Write and copyedit
- Arrange travel
- Handle payments
- Run events
- Coordinate media requests
- Own other projects and ad hoc tasks as needed
Who is suited for this role?
Previous experience in an assistant role is desirable, but we are open to hiring someone without it provided they learn quickly.
These words should describe you:
- Rational: able to carefully evaluate relevant considerations and make good decisions
- Scientific: able to adeptly navigate the behavioral science and related fields
- Sharp: smart, quick-witted, and discerning
- Formidable: a “force of nature” that makes things happen
- Conscientious: able to reliably deliver high-quality work on time and within budget
- Growth-oriented: deeply focused on improving yourself and the value you offer
- Autonomous: self-directed and intrinsically motivated
- Altruistic: here to do good for the world
The ideal candidate should also have the following skills:
- Organizational: able to juggle multiple priorities and stay on top of a large number of potentially conflicting tasks and deadlines
- Communication: able to succinctly communicate complex information to a variety of audiences both verbally and in writing
- Diplomacy: able to tactfully and effectively relate with people from varied socioeconomic, geographic, and cultural backgrounds
- Software: proficient in Google Apps, Microsoft suite, and other basic software tools
- Discretion: able to maintain the confidentiality of sensitive information
The ideal candidate should also have the following background:
- Research: at least moderate experience with academic or independent research
- Writing: at least moderate experience with professional writing
Why should you join?
- Impact: substantial amounts of measurable social and environmental impact on the world
- Self-development: dedicated time and support to run your own Upgrade Program
- Compensation: base salary and generous profit share
- Professional development: opportunity to build cross-functional skills and expertise
- Network: access to our network of experts, partners, and clients
- Flexibility: a fully remote, results-only work environment
- Fun: an environment where playfulness is very welcome
What’s the application process like?
We have a multi-stage application process that’s essentially a mini-UP workshop designed to help us mutually determine fit and help you grow both personally and professionally. It is similar to what we do for our UP clients to help them set their career strategy. It has three phases that are all conducted virtually:
- The first is a general fit assessment over email and two short video calls
- The second is a paid two-day work trial and training
- The third is a paid two-month work trial and training
Your schedule permitting, we aim to complete the first two phases within two weeks. All in, the full process is a roughly 350 hour commitment across 2.5 months. We will do everything we can to respect your time and request you do the same for us.
If this sounds like the right role and organization for you, please send a short email to email@example.com with the following:
- LinkedIn and/or personal website
- A self-rating on our fit assessment tool for each of the relevant suitability criteria
- A <100 word argument for why you’d be a great fit for the role
- Your top suggestion for how Upgradable might improve
No cover letter is necessary and you don’t need to do extensive research before applying.
Please note we receive a substantial number of applications for open positions, so only applicants that follow the instructions and clearly demonstrate they meet the job description will receive a reply.
We are committed to fostering a culture of inclusion, and we encourage individuals with diverse backgrounds and experiences to apply. People from minority or marginalized groups are strongly encouraged to apply. We value diversity and do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status or disability status. We are happy to make any reasonable accommodations necessary to welcome all to our workplace. Please contact us if you have any questions, concerns or requests about the application process.
To apply for this job please visit www.upgradable.org.