Operations DirectorNovember 18, 2021 2021-11-19 9:37
See upgradable.org/join for a PDF version of this listing.
Upgradable is seeking an Operations Director. We’re looking for someone who is passionate about changing themselves and the world. This person will be the core engine for operations, doing just about everything from the big picture to the nitty gritty to ensure the smooth running of the organization.
We’re an early stage startup based in Bali currently building our modern-day equivalent of Shackleton’s crew. We welcome remote team members from anywhere in the world, but Bali-based members are welcome to join us in a shared villa/office.
Who are we?
Upgradable is an applied research lab trying to solve human flourishing. Everyone on the planet deserves to live an extraordinary life. We’re working hard to make that a reality.
What’s our culture like?
We’re a principled, high-performing, and agile startup. We deeply value hard work, but at the same time we love to laugh and play.
We care about each other as human beings. We hold ourselves to high standards, but know that no one is perfect.
We attract outliers. Our people tend to think deeply, work carefully, and take calculated risks. We’ve all resolved to leave a lasting positive impact on the world.
Most of us love science, philosophy, math, and entrepreneurship. We read for fun, are always trying something new, and aren’t afraid of being different.
It goes without saying, but we’re very focused on everyone’s growth. And we’re very supportive of each other’s goals in life, both inside and outside of Upgradable.
Why is this role important?
As the Operations Director, you will ensure things get done efficiently and effectively across the entire organization. In virtue of this, you will act as a force multiplier for the entire team.
What will you do?
- Work with the Chief Operations Officer to execute strategic goals and translate them into operational objectives and plans
- Establish and execute operational processes and policies to enhance workflows and productivity
- Support team recruiting and onboarding
- Support recordkeeping
- Create budgets, make payments, and handle financial accounts
- Apply for funding and obtain other resources as needed
- Manage all requirements of funders
- Ensure organizational compliance with local and international laws
- Select and maintain tools and software for the team
- Maintain team’s shared Drive
- Set up and manage team office
Who is suited for this role?
These words should describe you:
- Rational: able to carefully evaluate relevant considerations and make good decisions
- Scientific: able to adeptly navigate the behavioral science and related fields
- Sharp: smart, quick-witted, and discerning
- Formidable: a “force of nature” that makes things happen
- Conscientious: able to reliably deliver high-quality work on time and within budget
- Growth-oriented: deeply focused on improving yourself and the value you offer
- Autonomous: self-directed and intrinsically motivated
- Altruistic: here to do good for the world
The ideal candidate should also have the following skills:
- Organizational: able to juggle multiple priorities and stay on top of a large number of potentially conflicting tasks and deadlines
- Communication: able to succinctly communicate complex information to a variety of audiences both verbally and in writing
- Finance: proficient in budgeting and financial management
- Information technology: proficient in establishing and maintaining small business systems
- Software: proficient in Google Apps, Microsoft suite, and other basic software tools
- Discretion: able to maintain the confidentiality of sensitive information
Why should you join?
- Impact: substantial amounts of measurable social and environmental impact on the world
- Self-development: dedicated time and support to run your own Upgrade Program
- Compensation: base salary and generous profit share
- Professional development: opportunity to build cross-functional skills and expertise
- Network: access to our network of experts, partners, and clients
- Flexibility: a fully remote, results-only work environment
- Fun: an environment where playfulness is very welcome
What’s the application process like?
We have a multi-stage application process that’s essentially a mini-UP workshop designed to help us mutually determine fit and help you grow both personally and professionally. It is similar to what we do for our UP clients to help them set their career strategy. It has three phases that are all conducted virtually:
- The first is a general fit assessment over email and two short video calls
- The second is a paid two-day work trial and training
- The third is a paid two-month work trial and training
Your schedule permitting, we aim to complete the first two phases within two weeks. All in, the full process is a roughly 350 hour commitment across 2.5 months. We will do everything we can to respect your time and request you do the same for us.
If this sounds like the right role and organization for you, please send a short email to firstname.lastname@example.org with the following:
- LinkedIn and/or personal website
- A self-rating on our fit assessment tool for each of the relevant suitability criteria
- A <100 word argument for why you’d be a great fit for the role
- Your top suggestion for how Upgradable might improve
No cover letter is necessary and you don’t need to do extensive research before applying.
Please note we receive a substantial number of applications for open positions, so only applicants that follow the instructions and clearly demonstrate they meet the job description will receive a reply.
We are committed to fostering a culture of inclusion, and we encourage individuals with diverse backgrounds and experiences to apply. People from minority or marginalized groups are strongly encouraged to apply. We value diversity and do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status or disability status. We are happy to make any reasonable accommodations necessary to welcome all to our workplace. Please contact us if you have any questions, concerns or requests about the application process.
To apply for this job please visit www.upgradable.org.