UP CoachNovember 19, 2021 2021-11-19 13:00
See upgradable.org/join for a PDF version of this listing.
Upgradable is seeking an UP Coach for our clients. This person will design and execute multi-month or multi-year behavior change interventions aimed at helping our clients set, plan, and plausibly achieve their life goals. This is essentially a temporary Chief of Staff role for our client’s UP Teams, which the coach will recruit, train, and manage. Coaching is part of the role, but not the only part. This person will not only encourage our clients to achieve their goals–the coach will literally be doing the work alongside the client to ensure they are successful.
We’re an early stage startup based in Bali currently building our modern-day equivalent of Shackleton’s crew. We welcome remote team members from anywhere in the world, but Bali-based members are welcome to join us in a shared villa/office.
Who are we?
Upgradable is an applied research lab trying to solve human flourishing. Everyone on the planet deserves to live an extraordinary life. We’re working hard to make that a reality.
What’s our culture like?
We’re a principled, high-performing, and agile startup. We deeply value hard work, but at the same time we love to laugh and play.
We care about each other as human beings. We hold ourselves to high standards, but know that no one is perfect.
We attract outliers. Our people tend to think deeply, work carefully, and take calculated risks. We’ve all resolved to leave a lasting positive impact on the world.
Most of us love science, philosophy, math, and entrepreneurship. We read for fun, are always trying something new, and aren’t afraid of being different.
It goes without saying, but we’re very focused on everyone’s growth. And we’re very supportive of each other’s goals in life, both inside and outside of Upgradable.
Why is this role important?
As an UP Coach, you will be at the center of a client’s handpicked team of experts and assistants dedicated to their life goals. You will be the client’s trusted guide and accountability partner. You will help them focus on the most important things in their lives, while putting systems in place for automating or delegating everything else. In virtue of this, you will act as a force multiplier for our clients and greatly increase the social and environmental impact they create.
What will you do?
- Design and execute 3 month, 6 month, 1 year or 100 year UPs for our clients
- Conduct high-level strategy with clients for setting, planning, and achieving their life goals
- Recruit, train, and manage a client’s UP Team
- Keep clients accountable to their goals over time
- Collect and submit an extensive set of client outcomes for weeks, months, and years
- Directly help clients accomplish their most important life’s work (e.g., build their businesses, do their research, write their books, etc.)
- Contribute to the development and testing of the UP Protocol
Who is suited for this role?
You should have extensive experience as a coach, but also have a deep desire to do more than simply coach. You should be obsessed with doing whatever it takes–within reason–to help our clients actually achieve their goals.
You should be a powerhouse in your own right–whether it’s having successfully built substantial businesses, conducting seminal research, enacting major policy changes or achieving world-class levels of athletic performance. Your track record should demonstrate your ability to coach and guide some of the world’s highest-performing individuals.
These words should describe you:
- Polymathic: capable of performing extremely well across a number of fields
- Rational: able to carefully evaluate relevant considerations and make good decisions
- Scientific: able to adeptly navigate the behavioral science and related fields
- Sharp: smart, quick-witted, and discerning
- Formidable: a “force of nature” that makes things happen
- Conscientious: able to reliably deliver high-quality work on time and within budget
- Growth-oriented: deeply focused on improving yourself and the value you offer
- Tech-savvy: proficient in Google Apps, Microsoft suite, and other basic software tools
- Autonomous: self-directed and intrinsically motivated
- Altruistic: here to do good for the world
The ideal candidate should also have the following client support skills:
- Coaching: able to help a wide range of clients measurably enhance their goal attainment
- Mentoring: able to effectively provide expert advice and serve as a role model
- Counseling: able to compassionately guide a wide range of clients through their life problems
- Therapy: able to help a wide range of clients heal from psychological symptoms
- Training: able to help a wide range of learners gain new skills and abilities
- Teaching: able to help a wide range of learners gain new knowledge
- Consulting: able to persuasively provide expert advice and solve organizational problems
- Discretion: able to maintain the confidentiality of sensitive information
The ideal candidate should be the following:
- Leader: able to inspire and drive teams to reach ambitious goals
- Manager: able to hire, fire, align, coach, and mentor people
- Strategist: proficient in strategic thinking and planning
- Organizer: able to juggle multiple priorities and stay on top of a large number of potentially conflicting tasks and deadlines
- Communicator: able to succinctly communicate complex information to a variety of audiences both verbally and in writing
- Diplomat: able to tactfully and effectively relate with people from varied socioeconomic, geographic, and cultural backgrounds
Why should you join?
- Impact: substantial amounts of measurable social and environmental impact on the world
- Self-development: dedicated time and support to run your own Upgrade Program
- Compensation: base salary and generous profit share
- Professional development: opportunity to build cross-functional skills and expertise
- Network: access to our network of experts, partners, and clients
- Flexibility: a fully remote, results-only work environment where you can continue working with your current clients
- Fun: an environment where playfulness is very welcome
What’s the application process like?
We have a multi-stage application process that’s essentially a mini-UP workshop designed to help us mutually determine fit and help you grow both personally and professionally. It is similar to what we do for our UP clients to help them set their career strategy. It has three phases that are all conducted virtually:
- The first is a general fit assessment over email and two short video calls
- The second is a paid two-day work trial and training
- The third is a paid two-month work trial and training
During your work trial you may help clients under the guidance of an experienced UP Coach, although you won’t be eligible to be their lead UP Coach until the trial is finished. Once you’ve passed a competency test on UP frameworks, strategies, and tactics, you will be placed in a pool of UP Coaches available to work with clients. If you and the prospective client then both choose each other, you may begin an UP together.
To become a certified UP Coach, you’ll need to design and run an UP for yourself where you set, plan, and achieve your goals over the course of one year. Achieving a 70% or higher goal attainment rate is required. Please note your future clients will have access to your aggregate outcome data, but not anything you choose to keep private.
Your schedule permitting, we aim to complete the first two phases within two weeks. All in, the full process is a roughly 350 hour commitment across 2.5 months (plus potentially your one year long personal UP). We will do everything we can to respect your time and request you do the same for us.
If this sounds like the right role and organization for you, please send a short email to email@example.com with the following:
- LinkedIn and/or personal website
- A self-rating on our fit assessment tool for each of the relevant suitability criteria
- A <100 word argument for why you’d be a great fit for the role
- Your top suggestion for how Upgradable might improve
No cover letter is necessary and you don’t need to do extensive research before applying.
Please note we receive a substantial number of applications for open positions, so only applicants that follow the instructions and clearly demonstrate they meet the job description will receive a reply.
We are committed to fostering a culture of inclusion, and we encourage individuals with diverse backgrounds and experiences to apply. People from minority or marginalized groups are strongly encouraged to apply. We value diversity and do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status or disability status. We are happy to make any reasonable accommodations necessary to welcome all to our workplace. Please contact us if you have any questions, concerns or requests about the application process.
To apply for this job please visit www.upgradable.org.