Gratitude and Longevity?November 16, 2022 2022-11-16 19:09
Gratitude and Longevity?
Gratitude and Longevity?
A few weeks ago, I watched the wonderful documentary Gratitude Revealed by Louie Schwartzberg.
Schwartzberg is most known as the director of Fantastic Fungi and the Netflix series Moving Art.
His speciality is high-end, time-lapse cinematography that creates very unique films.
Gratitude holds the same beauty as those previous films but centers on us.
Humans making their way through life.
I cried throughout the film, which is 15 shorts, beginning with children and ending with elders.
One of the elements that struck me was the inspiration of physical loss or death as the motivator of gratitude later in life, say 30+.
I spend a great deal of time speaking with people who work in longevity.
For example, our 2020 conference featured the psychology of aging with the incomparable Alex Zhavoronkov.
Alex is one of the world’s leading figures in longevity and AI driven drug discovery as the founder of Insilico.
In the next 50 years, we will dramatically extend our lifespans and healthspans.
For example, people are talking about 120 year healthspans.
And while you may have recently heard that the global population just hit 8 billion, statistically birth rates will begin to drop dramatically and decline, in many countries below replacement rates during this same period.
By then, we will no doubt be growing organs and have improved medicine in a way that will decrease physical loss as we know it today.
This then begs the question — how do we teach gratitude for its own sake when we no longer have looming mortality and physical loss to shortcut us to a paradigm shift about the preciousness of life?
For myself, my mother passed the month after I graduated from college.
My father, in my early 30s.
And I have lived long enough to have lost friends too soon.
I have witnessed elders fighting against the encroachment of age and young people fighting for their lives from accidents.
And in the midst of this, I think — we never know when it is our turn.
Savor the now.
How do you think we can teach loss-less gratitude?
VR Rites of Passage?
Tech Gap Years?
We’re going to have to develop something.
P.S.S. Here’s the rest of the series:
- Love and Tech, Tech and Love
- The New Science of Emotion and Transformative Tech: Why it matters
- Experiences as validated Mental Health Treatments?
- Evolution Favors Fitness, Not Reality 😯
- Augmented Imagination
- Human Syncing and Group Flow
- Humanizing the Singularity
- Six Takeaways From My Day-to-day Work
- Overview: Deep Human – Warm Up
- Build while Being
- My Core Premise
- Growth Triangle
- The Choice
- The Growth 🔼 – The Metaverse — a Growth Triangle for Billions?
- Design Principles – The Metaverse as Human Potential Tech
- The Stack
- My Origin Story — And Why We Need Human Embodiment AND Technology
- The Metaverse (and the Future of Human Intelligence)
- A New Oath to Take? Defining Modern Neurorights
- Blockchain for Transformation?
- Collaborative Capacity
- How are Paradigm Shifts a Growth Tool?